What I really like about Polenta fries, is that they arefirstly super easy and also very versatile and can be eaten all year round – Insummer, at a BBQ and in winter with a roast. They can also be eaten as a snack – serve with a Mexican salsa or someguacamole. They can also be prepared theday before and cooked when you are ready to serve. Additionally, you can also freeze the batterand use at a later date.
Another option for polenta is instead of cutting these intofries, you can also cut into toast sized pieces and use as a substitute fortoast and topped with your desired spreads or my favourite with avocado and tomato.
They are so lovely and crunchy and the ‘cheesy’ flavor (whetherit’s a dairy or dairy free option) takes the polenta fries to a whole newlevel.
Polenta is a good source of protein and fibre which means itis very filling. It is also rich incomplex carbohydrates which means that it is broken down slowly and thereforetakes longer to digest keeping you fuller for longer.
Polenta is also very cheap to buy and can be stored in thepantry for months.
Are you sold on Polenta yet?
I hope you love these crispy polenta fries as much as we did.
- 1c Organic Polenta
- 500ml Organic Chicken Broth (or Vege stock)
- ½ c water
- 1 t oregano
- S & P
- 1/4 c Nutritional yeast (2T – 1/4 c vegan Parmesan or non-vegan Parmesan)
- Grease a 20cm x 20cm oven dish and/or use baking paper.
- Bring all liquids to boil.
- On low heat, slowly add the polenta in a slow stream whisking at the same time.
- Once all polenta has been added continue whisking for around 3-5mins until mixture thickens and starts pulling away from the sides.
- Remove from heat and add the nutritional yeast / vegan cheese/ parmesan and the oregano and stir until smooth
- Quickly pour into a dish (be mindful that it sets very quickly) and smooth with a spatula
- Place in fridge to cool for (ideally) 2 hours if you have time.
- Once cool and completely set, cut into fries/strips (or toast sized pieces).
- Line a tray with baking paper and place polenta in a pre-heated oven 180C – 200C and bake until golden.