Ginger & Lemon Crunch
A quick and easy, tasty slice using two flavours that complement each other so well - ginger and lemon.
I combined this with a creamy raw lemon icing which includes the addition of a lemon essential oil which takes this flavour to the next level. Of course if you don’t have lemon essential oils on hand, I have provided alternative options. But I would highly recommend the addition of this oil!”
I have also included the addition of Lucuma powder as an additional sweeter for the icing. I realise this probably isn’t a pantry staple for most people but I have recently started including this superfood in a few of my recipes. Lucuma is an exotic Peruvian fruit known as the “Gold of the Incas.” Lucuma is gluten free, rich in antioxidants and packed full of vitamins, minerals, fibre, healthy carbohydrates and of benefit to the immune system. It is a natural low GI sweetener which is a great option to add to i.e. desserts, slices, smoothies and unlike many alternative sweeteners that offer empty calories. It has a caramel and maple flavour. Definitely worth a look when you’re next at your local health store.
Anyway, back to the recipe…. Combining the tasty ginger crunch base with the creamy lemon icing is just divine. Another recipe that the whole family will enjoy.
I only used half a box/cake mix to make a loaf tin size slice so if you would like to make a larger slice in a 20cm square tin, use the whole box and double the creamy lemon icing. Trust me it won’t go to waste!
I’ve been serving these at my Essential Oils workshops and they have been going down a treat. I have even managed to put aside some for myself and the family which don’t seem to last long. Sometimes, I have snuck a few pieces into the freezer and they taste just as good when eaten straight from the freezer.
Let me know if you try this tasty recipe. If you would like to subscribe to my recipe blog, you can sign up below.
Additionally, if you would like to know more about Essential Oils, please feel free to contact me. I have a few more workshops locked in pre baby and would love to share the therapeutic benefits of these amazing oils with you.
P.S If you would like to discuss your health goals, I would love to work with you one-on-one. I practice a holistic approach where I consider your individual needs related to health in terms of both nutrition and aspects of your lifestyle. We can work together and look at how all parts of your life affect your health and make sustainable changes that improve your health and happiness. Find out more.
- 1/2 box (or xxg) of HGG Ginger Cake mix
- 1/4 c Desiccated coconut
- 1/4c plus 1 T Coconut oil
- 1 T brown rice malt syrup
- 75g of coconut oil
Creamy lemon icing:
- 1/3c cashews (soaked for 1-2 hours)
- 1 1/2 T rice malt syrup
- 2 1/2 T coconut oil
- 1 T of cacao butter (or use another 1T of coconut oil)
- 1 T lucuma powder (or use coconut powdered sugar or additional rice malt syrup)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil (optional – could use additional lemon juice or zest of lemon)
- 1-2 T shredded coconut for top
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a 20cm loaf tin
- Mix together the baking mix, melted coconut oil, coconut and brown rice malt syrup together until you reach a sticky consistancy.
- Press into the tin and bake in the oven for 20-30mins (until edges are crispy – mixture will not feel hard but will harden as it cools in loaf tin).
- Cool in the tin
- Once cool, prepare icing
- When base is cool, start preparing the creamy icing.
- Add all ingredients (excluding shredded coconut) to blender and combine until you reach a smooth consistency. You may have to scrape down the sides a few times.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut
- Pour over base and place in freezer for 30mins
- Slice into bite sized pieces
*Use organic ingredients where possible