Banana & Blueberry Bread
This recipe also includes the addition of dark chocolate chips (who doesn’t like chocolate) and some delicious blueberries which are filled with plenty of anti-oxidants. You can add any berries you may have on hand. Frozen is fine (especially when making at this time of year when fresh berries are not available to us in NZ). You could also add any nuts/seeds. Walnuts go well with banana’s.
I really love trialling these banana recipes, especially since we often have banana’s on hand but once the last 1-2 start to ripen they tend to remain in the fruit bowl. So what better way to ensure these don’t go to waste than make a deliciously healthy Banana bread.
The other benefit of using banana’s is that they are also packed full of nutritional goodness. Loaded with vitamins, minerals – when compared to other fruits, banana’s are one of the best sources of Vit B6 and also a great source of Vit C, fibre, potassium and maganese (just to name a few), keeping you nice and healthy.
Serve this banana bread with coconut yoghurt, nut butter and/or chia jam. As another option, you could top with sliced banana and sprinkle with cinnamon. Lots of healthy options, for a dessert, snack or even breakfast. I like to serve my banana bread warm, especially in the cooler months.
I hope you love this as much as we do. And don’t forget, that if you do try this recipe please share it with me on Instagram and Facebook to help grow this community. Additionally, if you would like to subscribe to my recipe blog, you can sign up below.
P.S If you would like to discuss your health goals, I would love to work with you one-on-one. I practice a holistic approach where I consider your individual needs related to health in terms of both nutrition and aspects of your lifestyle. We can work together and look at how all parts of your life affect your health and make sustainable changes that improve your health and happiness. Find out more.
- 2x medium organic ripe banana’s (mashed)
- 3x organic eggs
- 1/4c coconut oil (or other oil)
- 1/4c sweetener of choice (i.e. brown rice malt syrup, honey, maple syrup, coconut nectar etc)
- 1T pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c flour (see mix I used below)
- 1/4 c coconut flour
- 1/4 t salt
- 1 t baking soda
- 1 t vanilla powder
- 1/2 c – 3/4 c organic blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2T – 1/4 c dark choc chips or walnuts (optional)
- Shredded coconut / walnuts / sliced almonds (for top)
- Preheat oven to 180C and line a loaf tin
- Mix together dry ingredients (excluding chocolate, blueberries & shredded coconut/sliced almonds)
- Mix together wet ingredients and add to dry
- Fold in Chocolate & blueberries into mixture
- Pour into loaf tin. Sprinkle with topping (i.e. shredded coconut, walnuts etc)
- Bake for 3-35 mins
- Leave in tin to cool for 15mins
- Serve warm with coconut yoghurt and/or chia berry jam
*Use organic produce where possible *My flour combo: I used 1/2 c ground almonds, 1/2 c buckwheat, 1/2 c brown rice flour, 1/2 t guar gum *If you have time use activated nuts/seeds