Raw Chocolate Fudge
A decadent and crunchy fudgey slice full of chocolatey goodness. Free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar. Make yourself a batch here!
This popular treat that my whole family enjoys is free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar so a great allergy friendly treat. The slice requires no baking and barely any preparation as it’s predominantly made in a blender but you do have to take into consideration the chilling time. The waiting is the most difficult thing about this recipe as you just want to dig in!!
As with all my healthy slices, I had taste and nutritious ingredients in mind. Firstly, you can never go wrong with chocolate – I’m sure the majority of us are chocolate fans. I love the crunchy and chewy chocolatey base and the decadent chocolate icing. The inclusion of activated Buckwheat means that we get that lovely crunchy texture but it also means that this recipe is bursting with nutritional benefits. Buckwheat is a gluten free wholegrain rich in protein, calcium and a great source of fibre.
I choose to use activated wholegrains (nuts & seeds) where possible in my recipes. Activating wholegrains can take time and the great news is that there are a few brands which now stock activated products. ‘Activated’ means that the vitamins and nutrients are absorbed by our bodies more readily.
Like any refined sugar free treat, they are still only ok to consume in moderation but at least this slice is made with nutrient dense ingredients i.e. Buckwheat, healthy nuts and naturally sweet dates. Just don’t eat the entire slice in one sitting!
This raw chocolate slice stores well in the fridge and as mentioned, it freezes very well and can be eaten straight from the freezer.
P.S. If you would like someone to discuss your health goals with, I would love to work with you one-on-one. I practice a holistic approach where I consider your individual needs related to health in terms of both nutrition and aspects of your lifestyle. We can work together and look at how all parts of your life affect your health and make sustainable changes that improve your health and happiness. Find out more
- 1/2c + 3x dates (soaked – reserve soaking water)
- 1-2 T reserved date soaking water
- 1/4 c cashews
- 1/4 c hazelnuts
- 1/2 c Buckwheat groats
- 1/4 c raw cacao powder
- 1/2 c unsweetened shredded coconut (or desiccated)
- 2 T maple syrup
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 c coconut oil
- 1 T cacao butter (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 c + 1T raw cacao powder
- 2-3 T maple syrup
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 T hazelnuts (chopped – to sprinkle)
- 2 T shredded coconut
- Line a loaf tin
- Soak dates in hot water for 10mins.
- Add soaked dates, salt and 1-2 T of reserved water to blender and process until a smooth date paste forms
- Add cashews, hazelnuts, sweetener & coconut oil and combine (ensure mixture is still crunchy)
- Finally add coconut & buckwheat and pulse a few times (just to combine)
- Place mixture into lined loaf tin and place in the fridge for around 2hrs.
- Melt coconut oil (and cacao butter) in pan
- Add sweetener, cacao powder and vanilla extract and combine
- Pour frosting onto base and then place in freezer for 10mins.
- After 10mins pour remaining frosting on slice and sprinkle the chopped hazelnuts and shredded coconut (this is so the hazelnuts/coconut doesn’t sink into frosting.
- Place back in fridge for 1 hour.