Essential Oil Infused Toilet Bombs
A toxin free toilet cleaner that is great to refreshen your toilet between cleans. They're fun to make and only require a few simple ingredients
Nobody likes cleaning toilets! So this is a great option to make your life easier so you can deodorise and clean your toilet at the same time. This recipe is super simple with only a few household ingredients that you probably already have on hand in addition to your favourite essential oils – baking soda, citric acid and essential oils.
I like to do a decent clean once a week and then half way through the week these bombs are a great way to refreshen our toilet.
These toilet bombs are also a fun little science experiment to do with the kids, I know Stella loved making them and now she also loves cleaning the toilet i.e. dropping these bombs in and watching them fizz!
The essential oils both smell good and also clean the toilet. There are a number of different essential oils you can use – I opted for Peppermint, Lemon and Lavender. Other oils to consider for the toilet include Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, On Guard. Experimenting is half the fun!
To clean your toilet and have it smell nice, simply drop the bath bomb into the toilet bowl and if the bombs start fizzing then they are doing their job!
I choose to use doTERRA Essential oils due to the fact that they are the highest quality and purest essential oil. Not all essential oils can be treated equally and doTERRA undertakes vigorous testing to ensure their oils (sourced from more than 40 countries), are the purest, safe and effective. The essential oils are extracted from where they grow indigenously and thrive the best resulting in the best quality oils with the highest therapeutic qualities. If you would like to find out more about these amazing oils find out here. And if you are ready to join us on the oil bandwagon, join our amazing community here.
As always, if you do try this recipe I love seeing your creations so please share it with me on Instagram and Facebook to help grow this community. Additionally, if you would like to subscribe to my recipe blog, you can sign up below.
- 1/2 c Baking soda
- 1/4 c citric acid
- Essential oils – 15 drops of your choice (I used peppermint, lavender and lemon)
- 1/2 t – 1 t water
- Add baking soda and citric acid to a bowl and mix together
- Add essential oils and mix
- Add a little of the water at a time and stir (it will fizz)
- Place into silicone moulds and push down firmly
- Leave for around two hours
- Expanding is perfectly normal so don’t fill your silicone trays too high – the more liquid you use, the more they will expand
- If you find that your toilet bombs aren’t smelling as nice as when you made them, you can add additional drops to the toilet bombs – essential oils tend to evaporate.